Sweet and Sour Cipollini Onions 1.6 kg
These are no ordinary onions, they're "Cipollini" onions, the name literally meaning little onion. They are small flat, thin skinned yellow onions that have more residual sugar than other onions. Their shape and sweetness make them perfect for roasting and for pickling. They are a very seasonal onion, and quite tricky to grow so it is a traditional to preserve them.
This heirloom variety are sometimes known as Borettana onions, after the town of Boretto in Emilia -Romagna, about 80 km from Bolognia. This is the area that they grow best. We have had these Cipollini specially made for us
They are a delicate sweet and sour flavour and have a lovely crunch. The flat shape also ensures they don't roll off a platter.
You can use pickled onions as they are but here are a few ideas for iusing pickled Cipollini onions
- Make a potato salad by chopping the onions and mixing them into warm potatoes with parsley, dill and mayonnaise
- Make a jus or sauce by chopping some onions into the reduced sauce for Lamb or beef.
- Mix dice into a smoked fish pate
- Make beef and opickled onion pies
- Mix with cream cheese and herbs for a dip
- mix into meatballs for a great contrast
- Mix through salsa of tomatoes and roasted capsicums
AND don't throw out the pickling liquid because it makes a great dressing!
|This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 28 March, 2017.