Chefs enquire directly for wholesale
* Farina per Polenta Macinata a Pietra or Course Stoneground 1kg Polenta
Polenta is made from corn that has been dried and ground. It is a naturally gluten free ingredient and is a traditional crop from the north of Italy. There are many species of corn, but the corn grown in Italy makes wonderful polenta meal and flours. Some of the corn grown, are heirloom varieties that have been milled into “polenta” or flour of corn, for hundreds of years. Italians have mastered the art of stone grinding at low temperatures. This produces a polenta that has textures and retains it's flavour and vitamin content. This particular polenta is especially milled and packaged for us in the Lombardy region.
Polenta is used in many ways throughout Italian cuisine. It is especially prized for eating cooked into a soft puree with lots of cheese but it can also be allowed to cool and solidify, which is then baked, fried, or grilled. It makes a wonderful bread, pizza base or cake. It can be eaten sweetened as a dessert or breakfast food and really has as many uses as your imagination will allow.
Materia Prima Polenta has a course texture, which takes a little more cooking but coarse grinding of the nibs leaves it with an extremely satisfying corn flavour. A little bit goes a long way .
How to cook your polenta
Use 5 parts water to 1 part polenta.
- Bring the water to a brisk boil over medium-high heat.
- Pour the polenta into the boiling water slowly and whisk continuously
- Continue whisking until it is smooth and thickened
- Then very slowly cook the polenta for 40-50 minutes stiring every few minutes to prevent sticking and burning.
- Stir in cheese and butter, salt and pepper.
You can also cook polenta in stock or milk or a mixture of milk and water, any of these methods will produce a delicious meal.
|This product was added to our catalog on Tuesday 03 January, 2017.